Freelance Brand Strategy Director to help good causes do more good in the world
Media Cause is an award winning, mission-driven marketing and creative agency that helps nonprofits grow and accelerate their impact. In fact, in 2020, Media Cause was honored by Inc. Magazine with a Best In Business Gold Award for our positive impact on our community, our industry and society as a whole.
As part of our own mission, we believe in taking a people-first approach to developing powerful creative, scalable growth strategies, and targeted communications that connect with individuals across their entire supporter journey: from awareness and recruitment to fundraising and advocacy, and every touchpoint in-between.
We also believe that having a solid brand foundation is one of the most critical components in ensuring our nonprofit clients’ success. That’s why we’re looking for an ambitious, self-motivated Senior or Director-level Brand Planner/Strategist (freelance) to dig into the research, uncover powerful audience and issue-area insights, and help build stronger brands and communications strategies for organizations looking to change the world.
If you’re coming from the consumer side of the advertising or marketing world, and wondering “would I fit this role?,” ask yourself these questions:
- Am I burned out on doing work for B2C or B2B brands?
- Do I have a keen understanding of human behavior and cultural influences?
- Do I get excited by leading interviews, combing through research, and uncovering “aha” insights?
- Can I write creative briefs and help craft brand foundational platforms that articulate missions and inspire teams?
- Do I have the experience (and the entrepreneurial spirit) to help elevate an agency's Brand Strategy chops through training and collaboration?
- Do I want to put my efforts toward something that makes a difference in the world?
If you answered a resounding YES to the above, keep reading. We like you.
- 7-10 years experience in brand strategy/planning in a marketing, consulting, or advertising agency environment (nonprofit experience is a plus, but not required)
- A deep understanding, and love for, unraveling brand, cultural, and audience insights
- A solid toolkit of research platforms, tools, and vendors to bring to each project
- The ability to lead interview calls and client workshops, and create cohesive, story-driven presentation decks
- Experience with project organization and client management
- An open mind to thinking of yourself as part of the agency rather than a “consultant”—we view freelancers as an extension of our team
- A willingness to get crafty and understand that regardless of budget (nonprofits don’t always have a lot), it’s our job to figure out how to do great work.
Your role will include:
- Collaborating with Account and Creative teammates to uncover relevant insights around how various factors, including audience mindsets and behaviors, personas and segmentation, cultural influences, technological trends, and competitive landscapes/challenges influence our clients’ work and impact, and ultimately, how we use these insights to help them communicate more effectively
- Interacting directly with clients as the strategic lead to request information, schedule interviews, communicate findings, and present work
- Developing, deploying, and analyzing a variety of primary and secondary research methodologies, including interviews, surveys, trackers, testing, and social listening
- Managing timelines, project plans, interview schedules, and deliverables (in tandem with our VP of Project Management)
- Guiding and implementing rebranding initiatives, including definition of foundational positioning elements (mission, values, vision, voice, personality, etc.) PODs, strategic platforms, brand guidelines, messaging frameworks, and communications recommendations
- Building client decks and conducting workshops
Ready to find out more? We’d love to talk.